New toPercent Higher-Order Indicator

I’ve been seeing a lot of people want to ‘overlay’ different indicators, especially indicators that work best in their own chart space (like RSI, MACD, and other oscillators). The issue with overlaying indicators and especially oscillators is the scale of the indicators used. Typically the scale doesn’t match up well. But I realize some other platforms natively support this, so I went ahead and made an indicator who’s entire purpose is to be used as a wrapper around an input indicator. The indicator is called toPercent and it transforms a set of data into a value between 0-100 using a standard statistical normalization function multiplied by 100.

Install it here.

Use it in a Worksheet, a period of 0 considers all loaded elements, while a period of anything greater than zero will consider that number of consecutive elements.

Or take another indicator’s output as input. First add the base indicator and indicator you want to convert to a percent value. Then add the toPercent indicator from ‘Utility’ → ‘toPercent’. Under ‘Input’ choose one of the output values from the indicator you want to convert. Then under ‘Add as…’ choose ‘Area’ and select the base indicator. Here’s an example using the builtin indicators MACD and RSI:

Put RSI and MACD in the space:

Add the toPercent indicator:

Result, macd normalized value is plotted over RSI:

You can make the base indicator a toPercent chart to convert the indicator you want to overlay into a percent value as well. RSI already works on a 0-100 scale, but many oscillators do not.

2 Likes

Hi, When using the toPercent Indicator how do you change the settings for the input indicator? ex: if I replicate your example, how do I set the MACD settings or does it use whatever is the default settings for the indicator?

Thanks

Depends on how you configure the MACD. If you use Worksheets like my example, you can parameterize the MACD within the worksheet. Be aware that MACD exposes several outputs, so you’ll have to choose one with the . operator. You can also use toPercent in a regular chart space. Add it like a normal indicator, but look at the ‘Input’ dropdown and choose the output from your charts that you want to convert toPercent.

Here’s how to use MACD with toPercent in a worksheet. Remember macd could be any indicator output value. Whatever parameters that indicator accepts, you’ll need to provide (or it will go to default if you do something like macd().macd for example). macd has fast, slow, and signal parameters. Here, 12, 26, and 9 (the defaults, I may just as well have called it with no params).

Okay thanks for the clarification

Hi, sorry to both you…I’ve been trying to get this to work with “Tiki Ticks & a 30-day moving average”
Not sure what I’m doing wrong but it keeps laying the MA towards the bottom of the “Tiki Ticks” chart. Can you please give a suggestion?

Thanks

You could use the toPercent indicator over only the Tiki Ticks indicator, then use the 30 day MA over the resulting graph instead of trying to convert it from the raw value, given that is what you’re trying to do. Also double check what you take as input for the 30 day MA, the default value is close which will average the candle close - sounds like you’re looking for an average over the Tiki Ticks indicator, which would require you to take a value returned by that indicator as an input instead.

Hi, I think that’s what I did. I also tried to add it to the volume.
See how the MA lays at the bottom.

I see, what you’re doing is turning the MA into a percent, then overlaying it onto your other indicator. toPercent turns a value into a percent and plots it between 0 and 100. So the MA will never exceed 100 or fall below 0 - it’s been converted to a percent value.

I think what you want is this - for toPercent's input, take a Tiki Ticks output value, and ‘Add as’ a new Area. Then use the 30 period MA with the toPercent as an input, overlayed on the toPercent Area.

So what I’m trying to to test, is adding a MA to a chart that can be used as a filler. Something similar to clip I’ve atached.

Oh for that, drop the toPercent altogether and just plot the MA with the Volume as input, over the volume Area for ‘Add as’.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Good day. I’m sorry to bother you again but I have an issue trying to combine indicators that I just can’t figure out.

1st I’m trying to combine the ADX with Signal with a line marking the 20 position (this one has a line horizontal line), with the MACD ( only the zero and signal line). I’m trying to combine them to cut down on space. The goal is to easily see when the MACD Signal line crosses the Zero Line at the same time as the DI+ or DI- Line crosses the 20 line. I’ve added a screenshot of the two setup independently.

Thanks for you help